Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ode To My Crock Pot

I love my crock pot, in fact I love it so much I have two. One large and one small. Trust me if you have the space I really recommend having both, if not I'd pick my small one over the large one any day of the week. Of course I only cook for 2-3 people so it's the perfect size for me since I cut alot of recipes in half. If you cook for more go for a larger one.

This week I have been using the crock pot a lot because the kitchen light decided to blow out and it's difficult to cook in the dark. Crock pot to the rescue, plus it has the added bonus of making your house smell delicious when you walk in from work.

Tonight's post isn't going to be just one recipe, instead I'm going to give you my two favorite stand by quick and easy recipes. Please feel free to post your favorites in the comments section.

1. Creamy Salsa Chicken

This one is super easy start with chicken breast add salad then cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred the chicken then combine salsa with light sour cream (use the ratio you like) and mix the shredded chicken in.

Options for use: over brown rice, as taco filling, or to make sour cream chicken enchiladas

Variations: creamy buffalo chicken, just substitute buffalo wing sauce of choice for the salsa. Also done with a top round steak makes delicious beef taco filling but I don't use sour cream with the beef.

2. Pulled BBQ Pork

Ok another easy one, just take boneless lean pork chops and then cover with BBQ sauce of choice. I also like to throw in chopped onions for flavor but if you are anti-onion then you don't need to. Cook on low 8-10 hours, remove from crock pot and shred before mixing with some extra BBQ sauce.

Options for use: stuffed potatoes, sandwich (perfect with a slice of smoked gouda), tacos

Variations: works equally well with beef or chicken.

Also, let me suggest that you bake your potatoes in the crock pot. Now, don't look at me like I'm crazy trust me it works and they turn our perfectly fluffy every time. The reason I'm a fan of this approach is I don't always have the time to wait an hour plus when I get home from work before dinner, and I don't really like microwaved baked potatoes. Plus it makes your house smell like french fries and who doesn't love the smell of fries.

Another fun option when you are pressed for ingredients, inspiration and time is just combine some sort of meat with a sauce you enjoy and see what happens. These are usually good served with some vegetables and say a side of brown rice or mixed into a pasta dish.

For example I love cooking chicken and pork in the following: hot mango chutney, orange marmalade, ginger preserves (or any fruit preserves actually), teriyaki sauce, sugar free pie filling (I know sounds weird but works and based off a dish I had a chicken with blueberry sauce once). Ok you get the picture. I'm a big fan of experimenting in the kitchen so take a sauce you like some protein and run with it.

1 comment: