Thursday, April 14, 2011

Breakfast Berry Cornbread

I was at the grocery store the other day and I am loving that there are so many delicious looking fresh berries to choose from. If however, you don't have access to fresh berries or they are just too expensive frozen will work just as well in this recipe.

I am, as my friend Eric says, a serious carb whore which of course means I love my muffins, pasta, breads and really any pastry. Now, if you do weight watchers new point plus program like I do you understand how pointy those items can be so as such I'm constantly trying new recipes I find and lightening them up if necessary in order to get my carb fix.

This recipe is super simple to put together and you most likely already have everything you need at home to make it if you keep a fairly well stocked kitchen cabinet. It turns out very moist and full of flavor, quite perfect for a snack with your mid morning latte/coffee.

Source: Weight Watchers PointPlus Cookbook (the one sold at meeting centers)

Ingredients

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 large egg + 1 egg white
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh or frozen berries

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 and spray pie plate with pam.

2. Mix together sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda in one bowl. In another bowl mix together sour cream, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla. Add wet mixture to the dry and stir just until all the corn meal is moistened. Sprinkle evenly with berries.

3. Bake until a toothpick/knife tests clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting into eight wedges.




Some quick notes about adjustments I made to the recipe ingredients. I used 1/2 cup egg beaters instead of one egg and one egg white because it's what I had in the house. Also, I used 1 cup of frozen blueberries in my cornbread you see pictured above.

Next time I may also switch up and coat the berries in a smidge of flour so they don't sink to the bottom and just stir them directly into the cornbread mixture. Just because personally I think the berries kind of rolled and clumped together a bit as the cornbread puffed up while baking and I think it may lend itself to a more even distribution.

I haven't tested to see if using splenda or another substitute changes the points but honestly it's so point friendly per serving I didn't see the point.

WWPP = 4pp per wedge

No comments:

Post a Comment