Friday, April 22, 2011

Beef and Ricotta Lasagna

So I am pretty sure I have mentioned before that I am a carb whore, which of course means I love pasta. Now I know I always hear from people "you can't eat pasta on weight watchers it's just too pointy" and to that I say LIES!!!!!!! Now is pasta a pointy option then say a plain chicken breast well sure, but with a little planning and combining it with good healthy ingredients it is perfectly edible.

Which brings us to today's recipe a beef and ricotta lasagna straight from the pages of yet another weight watchers cookbook I bought at my meeting a couple of months ago, Just 5. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who cooks on a budget or on a tight time schedule. As the name suggests this cookbook only contains recipes that have five ingredients, and following with weight watchers philosophy of cooking with real food you will find very few recipes call for prepackaged ingredients.

Source: Just 5

Ingredients


1.5 lbs lean ground beef
4 cups marinara sauce
8oz no boil lasagna noodles
2.5 cups fat free ricotta
1.25 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven and spray a 9x13 pan with Pam.

2. Brown beef in a skillet (use salt and pepper to taste). Drain beef.

3. Put one cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan then top with four lasagna noodles. Cover with half of the beef then half of the ricotta. Spread with another cup of marinara sauce then add another layer of four noodles. Cover with remaining beef followed by the remaining ricotta and another cup of marinara. Top with last four noodles then spread the last cup of marinara over the top and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella.

4. Spray a sheet of foil with Pam then cover the lasagna and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese gets brown and bubbly (about 15 more minutes).

5. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting into 8 squares and serve.



WWPP = 10PP per serving

Now here is where I get to some of the changes I made to it. I only used 1 lb of the super lean ground beef because honestly I just thought it called for too much. Also, I ended up cutting it into 10 servings (because I wasn't very hungry) and serving it with a light ceasar salad. With those changes it ended up being only 7PP per serving.

Next time I would probably actually end up cooking it in my 7x11 pan instead of the bigger 9x13, because as you can kind of see in the picture the noodles aren't big enough to fill the pan all the way to the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment