Monday, May 9, 2011

Creamy Stovetop Mac & Cheese

So yay I finally have a kitchen light again, which means no more excuses for not updating the blog and trying new recipes.

Tonight I had planned for simple all american kind of meal, hamburgers with mac and cheese. Now I'm all for the fancy baked four cheese mac and cheese or adding vegetables or meats to it. However, sometimes I just want some good old velveeta shells and cheese (or the kraft blue box). I found this recipe I copied out of some unknown weight watchers cookbook and thought it would fit the bill fabulously to fill that craving in a much more point friendly way.

Source: Unknown weight watchers cookbook (please let me know if you know which one)

Ingredients

8 ounces elbow macaroni (or any short pasta you have on hand)
3/4 cup fat free milk
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
5 ounces 2% velveeta cubed

Directions


1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt if desired and add in pasta.

2. While pasta cooks combine milk, flour and salt in a small sauce pan and stir with whisk until slightly thickened (it took me about 3-4 minutes). Then add the cubed up velveeta and continue whisking until the cheese is melted and you have a thick sauce.



(side note: this cheese sauce would be delicious on chicken or a baked potato too I'm sure)

3. Remove the cheese sauce from heat and drain the pasta. Mix together until combined and then enjoy. I added a smidge of freshly ground black pepper at the end just because I was in the mood but it wasn't needed.



WWPP: 1 cup serving = 7PP
1/2 cup serving = 4PP

Pictured above is the 1/2 cup serving since I was just having it as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment